Monday, August 11, 2008

After tuition today, I saw a little hamster near the door of the lift. It looked badly injured and dirty, one of its eyes were kinda bloody and half opened, while its hind leg was noticeably broken. Dangling might have been a better choice of word. Must've been a little runaway hammie, trapped its legs in the lift? I dunno, it just looked pitiful.

My first thought was to...observe its actions for a longer time and perhaps bring it home. Thats what they do in stories, anyway. See a little injured bird, bring it home and that's the beginning of a happy ending.


Tiny little creature it was, white with a grey dorsal stripe and small red nose. About two weeks old, because I had two week old baby hammies of my own. At first, I thought it was dead, until I used my slipper to give it a nudge. It jerked, but still did not move an inch. When I was about to return to my teacher's house, the lively hammie sprang into action and scurried towards..the rubbish chute.

I dared not touch it, afraid that it might carry some sort of disease. Praying really hard it wouldn't hide in a little hole (it'd make it difficult for me to get him out), I whipped out my phone to call the first person I could think of that would know how to deal with the matter: kaiying.

"Ohmg how! Feed it some food!"

me: "hmm, ah howhow! OMG NO IT WENT INTO THE HOLE IT LOOKS KINDA LIKE ITS FOR THE SEWAGE OR STH NOOOOO!!"

"omg quick take some food from your teacher and lead it out!"


So that was what I did. Rang the doorbell, asked for a piece of bread and a plastic bag to hold him in. it worked - only then did i realise the door above the hole could be opened, and it was dirty like hell. Tiny little hammie nibbled at the piece of white bread, must've been heaven for him. Wait, hold on. It might nibble through the plastic bag and escape.

My file could be its home. In a hurry, I emptied the contents of the file (maths worksheets and a book) into my bag and got him to hop in. Come little creature, hop in and save yourself. Save yourself from this smelly dumpster. Well, just that the file was a little flat for it to even crawl about...


To my tuition teacher's house it was, again. This time, she offered me a thicker plastic carrier and let me in to wash my hands. I'll have to thank her for that. Knowing she was in a hurry to grab herself a meal, I rushed off and got into the lift.

-Little hammie safe in a yellow plastic bag. Small, pitiful hammie was probably wincing in pain, but that didn't stop her from eating. Must have been quite long since the day she got seperated from her parents and siblings. Was to her own will or what, I don't know. Whatever it was, he's gonna get a new home. Mine.


So I called my mom, and told her I'd be late. We got the watch I needed. I told them it needed a vet, they didn't allow me to bring him to the vet.


I've always been referring to it as a "him". I..THINK its a him, yes.


Anyway, they REFUSED to let me bring him to a vet. No matter how many times I pestered, begged and explained how it NEEDED a vet because there might be a chance of it getting an infection from the badly fractured leg, they didn't listen. (asked jacqueline, she's an expert at animals and she said a fractured limb is a complicated matter)


It wasn't really about the money, I guess. I offered to pay for the consultation fees/amputation with my own money, but they didn't allow it either. SO WHAT IS IT THAT'S BOTHERING YOU ALL HUH? YOU THINK I'LL BRING A BABY PANDA HOME NEXT TIME? OR A HUMAN BABY?

Seriously, I don't understand it. They scolded me. Wasn't as easy as it sounds. I can type it in one sentence - They scolded me badly. But dammit, it wasn't that good a scolding.


Well, sorry I've been alittle rude. But I was desperate. It needed help. really.



Me: "so, you all are gonna..let it be, let it get an infection and die? Knowing we can help it by bringing it to the vet?"

them: "yes, we can't help it, that's how they survive in the wild, anyway"

me: "no, we CAN help it, we can bring it to the vet. they are DOMESTICATED animals, they don't live in the wild anymore, they can't help themselves, WE can"

them: "you know, some parents don't even ALLOW their children to even BRING it home?"

me: "....? most people would help. Besides, would you see a dying little hamster by the lift and just LEAVE it there to die and fend for itself?"

them: "well, no.. No."

me: "...? hmm?"

them: "so you're trying to make us sound cruel because we don't let you bring it to the vet?"

me: "ain't that cruel? I mean, you're seeing a spark of life here, trying hard to survive, and we know we can help by letting professionals take a look at it and maybe let it live on. Yes."

them: "the mothers eat their own babies. That's the way they live in the wild, anyway."

me: "!! Its still a life and I still can't bear to see it like that! its leg is broken!!!"

them: "the only thing you can do now is to clean it, and feed it. That's the best we can do!"

me: "no, the best we can do is to treat it by bringing it to the vet. It'll die. I don't want it to die"




and a bunch of stuff after that. Truth was, I was afraid of having the feeling of guilt in me if it ever died. really.



I also found out that they put clarice and cody in the same cage and left them there and left the house.

1) I did not buy them at the same time. Chances are, they'd fight and both with end up wounded

2) They didn't even ask me. No, they didn't even tell me they put them together.

3) I've told them that they'd fight and the scene wouldn't be too nice.



I sorta went "eeeeeee" and walked away to cool some steam, not throwing a tantrum, just to cool myself off. So they ended up saying I was unreasonable. TWO HAMSTERS TOGETHER = WWE.

no, seriously. unreasonable? Thankyouvery much.



You win, I lose.


No vet for little hamster.
Lucky clarice and cody weren't injured.



Well, kaiying said they'd regret what they just said and be nice tomorrow. They did become a LITTLE nice by helping me clean him up and crack the nuts for him. (it couldn't eat the seed by itself. We cracked it open for him and he GOBBLED them down as if it were his last supper)




No seriously, I still don't get their ultimate...motive. Reason. whatever.

1) They're afraid it'll carry some disease

2) They're afraid I'll bring more home if they allow me to this time. (no, they were actually nice enough to let me bring it home, just not...to the vet)

3) ....what?




Nevermind. I'll name the hammie somewhere along the lines of

STRENGTH.

as in, the meaning not its name. stay strong okay, you'll do fine ^_^




I don't know why I care so much. why ah? Why do I care so much ah, its the first time leh. Never ever felt so much for an animal before. Srsly. Why..I don't know o_O

Thanks to kaiying and Annia and ashley for hearing me vent frustrations anyway. Hope they have a reasonable reason to why they don't allow me to bring it to the vet, eh? :D



Alright, my mom was really afraid of it having some disease, they said they're willing to let me take care of it at home and let it heal. Hmm. Okay.




I'll be fine after sleeping, lah.

No comments: